Part of our mural at the community center
We believe that being connected to a community is an essential component of achieving self-sufficiency, and we work hard to help tenants develop and maintain mutually supportive connections. We also strive to help tenants become more fully integrated into the broader Washtenaw County community, to link with people from all sectors who may provide support and mentorship, and to be able to access the robust array of resources that are available to all residents.
Avalon operates five Community Centers located at our Davis, Arbordale, Carrot Way, Miller and Pauline properties. These Centers are the hub of our community building work. They are a place where tenants - children and adults- can access resources, gather for a potluck, attend a workshop and hold community meetings. They are the place where connections are made, and hope begins.
- Our services team of social workers work out of our community centers so they can be easily available to tenants and can focus on engagement and outreach
- Food pantries are located in the community centers. They are open weekly and are staffed by tenants
- After-school programs offer homework help, tutoring, snacks, art and field trips
- Employment Assistance is provided through access to computers, copiers, phones as well as direct help with writing resumes, job search and training opportunities
- Edible Avalon vegetable gardens are started from seed in the community centers. Nutrition and cooking classes are held there to make sure those veggies are well utilized!