Avalon's property management and maintenance teams share the common goal of helping our tenants succeed. Avalon coined the term "Enhanced Management" to reflect the way we blend social work into the business of being a landlord. We hire social workers and train them to be property managers. They are then able to focus on community engagement.
Property Management Team
Our property management team takes pride in:
- Screening-In high risk households who others screen out
- Developing positive relationships with tenants
- Making creative accommodations for people with special needs
- Providing 24/7 on-call response for tenants and neighbors
- Community gardening programs that link tenants with neighbors and volunteers
Family Services Team
Our supportive housing services are based on a "housing first" philosophy. We believe that housing is a basic human need that must be met inorder for someone to successfully make a major change in his/her life. The primary focus of our support services is to help tenants address issues that threaten their housing stability and to prevent an eviction.
Our services program includes two teams-serving both single adults and families with children. We provide a wide range of voluntary, flexible, and non-traditional supports designed to help people move beyond homelessness and improve their lives. Whether we provide assistance with basic needs, recovery support, after-school programs or a simple listening ear, our service teams help tenants work towards self-sufficiency, and become part of a healthy and productive community. We partner with Catholic Social Services of Washtenaw County to deliver these essential supports to our tenants.
We also believe strongly in the power of community to help overcome the stigma and isolation of homelessness.Everyone gets by with a little help from family or friends, but many of our tenants have lost those connections. Our service team helps people reconnect, and offer the critical support needed to address such major life challenges as mental illness, addiction, domestic violence or chronic illness.
Our services team takes pride in:
- Building relationships and trust with tenants
- Working on-site at our community centers to be easily accessible
- Being super advocates for tenants who need help navigating mainstream service systems
- Working closely with property managers to develop eviction prevention plans
- Fostering a sense of community and peer support
Our real estate team develops apartment communities through new construction or acquisition and rehab of existing properties. Every time we begin a new project we are excited to be able to offer more opportunities to individuals and families who are in desperate need of a safe, decent affordable place to call home.
Our development and rehab team takes pride in:
- Creatively packaging multiple financing sources to minimize debt
- Establishing rents that are permanently affordable for people with extremely low incomes
- Developing projects at scattered sites in neighborhoods throughout Ann Arbor
- Involving tenants and neighbors in our planning process
Huron Before Rehab
Huron After Rehab