As a nonprofit real estate developer, Avalon owns and manages 288 units of supportive housing scattered at over 20 sites in Ann Arbor and in Chelsea. Avalon properties are financed with a complex mix of non-traditional sources, including Low Income Housing Tax Credits, federal grants and rent subsidies, to reduce debt and guarantee permanent affordability.
Enhanced Property Management
Avalon’s Property Management team works to support tenants by building positive relationships and creating eviction prevention plans for at-risk tenants. Examples of our Enhanced Property Management model include weekly unit inspections, payment plans, community meetings and close coordination with our Support Services team.
Supportive Housing Services
All Supportive Housing residents are eligible to receive a wide variety of creative one-on-one supports and to participate in our community programs. We work with tenants in their home, in community centers and throughout the community. Services are individualized, flexible and vary in intensity as needed. Individualized supports help tenants address behaviors and challenges that may lead to eviction and a return to homelessness, including:
- Case Management: assessment, goal setting, and action plans
- 24/7 on-call crisis response
- Assistance with basic needs and with maintaining a safe and healthy household
- Advocacy and support with health care, substance abuse and mental health systems
- In-home primary medical care
- Medication management and transportation to critical appointments
- Support and advocacy around parenting and child welfare issues
Youth Development Programs
Children and teens who have experienced homelessness face a range of academic, social and emotional challenges. Avalon’s youth development programs offer valuable support and opportunities for this at-risk population.
- After School Program
- SPY (Summer Program for Youth)
- Youth Leadership Program
- Teen Group